Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 28, 2006, 12:56 PM   #1

Hello, I read carefully the thread on actuation. So I did a follow-up of my own. I want to have your opinion about this. I've had my D50 for 44 days now. On my first photo taken, camera actuation reads 10. On my very last one taken May 27, it says 2689 shutter releases. I can't believe that number. I kept around 900 photos burned on CD's. I swear I couldn't have deleted over 1800 photos in 44 days. Is it possible the camera doesn't give the proper EXIF information or it jumped at an higher number of shutter releases on its own? As far as I'm concerned, it is impossible for to have taken that many pictures. I'm no professional photographer nor I shoot at all that moves around me. I am very concerned by that. Hints and guidance are very welcome. Germain[img]/forums/images/emoticons/confused-smiley-017.gif[/img]
Karmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 28, 2006, 1:29 PM   #2

You'd be suprised at how quickly actuations add up. When shooting sports, I often delete images right away and wind up only keeping a little over 1/2 of what I shoot. If you use your camera often, your numbers don't seem out of line.

I'm not sure how the number of shutter actuactions has suddenly become a huge concern. After 4 film slr's and now 2 dslr's over 15 years, I've never had a shutter fail. None of my cameras have been pro type bodies rated for heavy use and I take 100-200 images per week. The D50 is rated between 25,000-50,000 releases (roughly). At nearly 2700 releases your camera has a long life ahead of it. Considering the low number of 25,000, that equates to a little over 13 shots per day for the next 5 years. Likely, you will replace the camera before your shutter fails, especially as technolgy gets better (and cheaper).

Don't worry about your shutter failing, worry about taking more pics!!!!
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2006, 4:26 PM   #3

Well.. I'm just about at 4,000 shots. I can't remember when exactly I got it, but I think it was late March. One trip and one weekend shooting a bunch of family shots did it. Lots of action stuff at 2.5fps. Every portrait I shoot now gets three or 4 exposures, to make sure nobody has their eyes closed.
me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2006, 6:24 PM   #4

Thats nothing really, Ive had my camera just under a month and I've taken over 6700 pictures already.

At this rate I will need my warranty before 2 years is up hehe. And I'm working full time right now aswell. When I get the opportunity to take pictures I usually end up taking about 500 a day. So 2700 in 44 days is perfectly reasonable.
Lexiticus is offline   Reply With Quote