Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 29, 2006, 1:53 PM   #1

Hi guy's & girls

I recently bought a Nikon D50. The first month it worked perfectly. Then suddenly the shutter starts to lock and the camera is dead. I have then to turn of the camera and take out the battery. Then it fires one shot and the next shot I am taking the thing lock's up again. I contacted the AD and they did send in to Nikon for service. Got it back today and on the repair slip it say's that the have adjusted the shutter an cleaned the camera. So when I did come back home I tried the thing and exactly the same problem appears again. Puh getting tired now. Any out there have any clue what might be the problem. I am as you understand am a newbie to this D50 and maybe there something that I do to cause this problem.
:sad:
Per K is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 29, 2006, 3:00 PM   #2
Administrator

Have you got more than one lens?

If so, I'd see if the problem is present with a different lens.

It could be a connection problem. Try cleaning your lens contacts (on the camera mount and on the lens) to make sure it's not just a bit of oxidation on the contacts causing a bad connection. A t-shirt with a touch of alcohol would probably do it.

I'd do the same thing with the battery contacts (and try a different battery if you have one, in case the battery has a problem).

Have you got another memory card? If so, I'd try a different one to make sure it's not shorting out the camera somewhere. I'd make sure to format it via the camera menus for format, too.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2006, 3:35 PM   #3

I have two lenses one Nikon thatdid come with the camere and one Sigma macro lens.

Changing the lenses does not help.I have only one memeory card and formating the card does not help.

Per K
Old May 29, 2006, 6:41 PM   #4

theres an option in the camera that will turn off the shutter lock when a memory card isn't inserted.
Turn that off (SD card Lock I think its called) And then take out your memory card and take a few pictures. If it still locks up on you it CAN'T be the memory card.

Then its most likely internal or a lens or battery problem

Go to a camera store and try it with a different battery. If that doesn't fix it Send it back again.
Lexiticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2006, 7:35 PM   #5
rey

This is the second time I've seen this issue, or something similar to it, here. The first one was here:
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=58

I googled for it, and found similar issues posted on other forums. I hope this is not a big issue like the BGLOD on D70.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2006, 5:27 AM   #6

It could be the SD card. As there are all kinds of SD cards out there. Check with your instruction book and try card that approved by Nikon and make sure you buy it from reputable shop.
ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2006, 11:33 AM   #7

When i got the cam back from service. The orginal battery was flat.

I have two non Nikon Replacemant batteries and i did use them.

This morning my nikon battery was fully charged and surprice surprice the cam is working perfect again.

Do you think that the replacement batteries could cause these problems.

I have used them before without any problems.

Any how thank you for all the help
Old May 30, 2006, 12:44 PM   #8
rey

Hopefully your problem did go away.

In general, I would never use generic battery for my camera. It's the one thing that can cause your camera to heat-up, catch fire, etc... So you're basically playing with fire. Also, my friend twice bought generic battery from eBay for his Canon P&S, and the dang thing holds enough charge for 10 shots before they die.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2006, 1:33 PM   #9

Hi there. Rey sent me your link and I feel your pain. Sounds like the same thing happened to you as me. I did have the Nikon battery in the camera when these problems started..and changed the battery to a generic and it happend with both types. But after reading what rey says I think I'll purchase another nikon battery to be careful and use the generic for emergency only things..

I have been waiting for my new camera to come in. I hope your issues get resolved soon. Im relieved I was offered a choice of either having Nikon fix it or sending it back to the place I purchased it from. Its been 3 weeks since i sent my camera back and I was told it would be shipped out this week. Im sure you have contacted the place you purchased from..Did theyoffer to replace it since its pretty new?

Dont give up and I am so sorry you are going thru this. I dont think it was us that caused the error... but hey ..when my next one comes... and if it does it again.. Iwill probablykeep my mouth shut and know its the loose nut behind the camera. Keep posting and let us know how things progress please. Here's hoping not many others have this issue but... finding another as yourself - makes me feel less like its the loose nut behind the camera theory!! :G

debby

learning_mode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 12:03 PM   #10

My did start with an ERR in the display and that the shutter did hang. I did have to to turn the cam off and takethe batteryout to get it started. But the same thing did happend on the next image. After a while the cam did turn completely dead.

then delivered to the shop where i bought it. It was then completly dead.

Well it is now working perfectly. but i don't trust the damn thing.