Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jun 15, 2006, 11:36 AM   #1

Might be a stupid question,but here it goes :

( if it has been addressed already,please disregard this post and direct me to a link i could read)

What can one use to clean the outside camera body and lenses ?

I am a magnet for mosquitos.I always have to wear the mosquito spray.Some of that stuff rubs on the camera and on my telephoto lens,on the plastic parts and on the rubber rings on the lens.

I don't think that just water will clean it. What other solution would be safe to use ?

Thank You.
Abyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 15, 2006, 11:56 AM   #2

I don't know what to clean it with, but a warning - DEET is quite aggressive. After a trip to Africa all the white markings on the buttons on the top of my camera had disappeared due to them rubbing on my DEET covered arm. This was on a Nikon F801 - I don't know if the materials used in the camera are the same now.

Keith.
keith1200rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 2:19 PM   #3

Ooops...thank you.I had no idea.I have to be very carefull then when i soak myself on that stuff :-).
Abyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 3:06 PM   #4

Yes, I found out the hard way (80 GBP repair)! Also, I have ruined the waterproof lining of a rucksack with the stuff. Now I carry it wrapped in two plastic bags.

Keith.
Old Jun 17, 2006, 3:42 PM   #5

Keith1200rs,

Take a look here http://www.homemakingcottage.com/health/bites.html

May help get rid of the need for deet.

Hope this will work for you.

divertwo
divertwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2006, 5:02 AM   #6

Thanks, although I have tried many things and the only thing I found that stops the b***ers biting is DEET. Also, I am somewhat allergic to the bites so carry various potions & pills for after I get bitten!

Keith.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 1:55 PM   #7

I must say that I got bite/torn up by Horseflies the last photo outing I had and was determined NOT to have it happen again, so I purchased a 40% canister of DEET and spray it all over my cloths and then after a short while put those outdoor cloths on myself... I got to my destination and there was between ten and twenty of those Horseflies buzzing me, but something great happened..... they would land on my hat or shirt and fly away!! What a relief!! DEET in general is nasty stuff, but for those days in the deep woods, it is definitely as important to me as my camera.

Buzzsaw is offline   Reply With Quote