Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jun 22, 2006, 4:10 PM   #1

Frist of all i would like to apolazise for by bad english....

Well it's my frist question to this forum and i need yr help in order to choose the best lens to buy for my d200 i whant o buy telephoto zoom lens and i have 4 options.... ( all Sigma ... ) i have also teleconvert sigma 1.4

70-200mm F2.8 DG MACRO
50-500mm F4-6.3 DG
80-400mm F4.5-5.6
100-300mm F4 DG

Well i have choose Sigma because is cheaper them Nikon lens but you can also suggest another lens i budget is +/- 1200,00 Usd
I will use this lens for several type of shots, autosports, surf, landscape etc..etc

many thks for yr comments
Best wishes from Portugal

Natagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 25, 2006, 6:57 AM   #2

I would hope someone who has used these Sigma lenses will weigh in with their opinions. I don't personally own any.

I've been very happy with my 18-200VR lens from Nikon. It's a good all around lens and I've found it to be very crisp and clear. It's priced around $750.

But it is not considered a sports lens. (f3.5-5.6)

I would only comment that on your lens list, you don't have what most would consider a "wide-angle" option.

reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2006, 7:14 AM   #3

reader wrote:
I would hope someone who has used these Sigma lenses will weigh in with their opinions. I don't personally own any.
I just posted a reply to a thread on this...
-> In this case the 100-300mm f/4 EX (even with a 1.4x teleconverter) appears to be superior to the highly regarded Canon's L series: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...549732#p549732

-> I don't recall about the 80-400mm F4.5-5.6, but this lens is similar to the 100-400L and the Sigma does come with HSM which is the silent autofocus drive with full-time AF overide as well...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2006, 9:39 AM   #4

I have the Sigma 70-200mm 2.5 DG (not macro version) and it is a very good lens. Focus is fast and accurate. It's a heavy beast and the focal range isn't optimum for my purposes (yours needs are likely different). It's not a "walkaround" lens but none of the others you listed seem to be either. I spent one day with it at hot air balloon event and it was the perfect lens, I left it on all day and it was a joy to use with excelent results. I just wish I had brought my monopod. :lol:

In an effort to get more tele, I added the 1.4x teleconverter which stops it down to f4. initial testing is promising, it seems to focus just as well with it added but I haven't had the chance to test it in the field yet.
eddie_dane is offline   Reply With Quote