Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 9, 2006, 2:15 PM   #1

I want to my local camera store and they won't being restocking the D-50 and were sold out. They awaiting the replacement for the the D-50. Does anyone know what it is being replaced with?
greatgreyowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 9, 2006, 3:14 PM   #2

There are no planned replacements for the D50 at this time (at least that have been announced). There may be a slight update coming, but the D50 is only a year old. I'm not sure where you shop, but they are feeding you bad info.

My thought, based on Nikons typical product life cycle, is the D70s successor will show up very soon...maybe by summer's end with a slight update to the D50 (say the D50s) early next year. You may very well see an even further stripped down entry level camera (less feature rich than the D50) at a low, lowprice point (maybe $399) as well in order to compete with Sony's upcoming offerings.

rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2006, 7:24 PM   #3

This is not to surprising. B&H, Adorama, and Buydighave allbeen out of stock on it forever now, which makes me wonder if Nikon has stopped making it or just can't keep up with D200 sales.
Nikonman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2006, 5:05 AM   #4

Nikon seems to be doing very well indeed. It's surprising to see the momentum the D50 has acquired in the last few months. I would be very very interested into the successor of the D70s. The only thing that's "missing" on my D50 is better low lighting capabilities. I don't know if it's the Canon's CMOS or DigicII Processor but I sure wish my D50's shots at ISO1600 were as clean as the 350D/20D/30D's. I would also like to see ISO3200 on the future replacement of the D70s. Depending on this, I will surely upgrade.
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote