Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 12, 2002, 8:22 AM   #1
Default D100 Firmware

Does anyone know if the D100 firmware can be updated by the user?
scsi_guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 13, 2002, 1:18 AM   #2

My source at Nikon Pro says it is upgradeable but he doubts that Nikon will ever issue a "user installable" firmware upgrade for it. This means they want to do it - not that there will never be firmware upgrades ...

[Edited on 7-30-2002 by steve]
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2002, 9:12 AM   #3

There is a link from what I have seen on Nikon's tech site, but when you click on it there is no content itself, but it looks like in the future there will be something
You can check out the site <a href="http://www.nikonusa.com/usa_tech_center/dtc_options.jsp?cat=1&grp=2&productNr=2520 6">here</a>
keerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2002, 3:42 PM   #4

I think Nikon will eventually enable the user to upgrade their D100 cameras.

Something that might be included in the D100 in the future, is Pixel Mapping. Olympus scored very well with this feature, and I think Nikon will do the same, once they figure out just how many people are sending their cameras in to get rid of a few pixels.

Nikon could get away with their own techs upgrading D1x and D1h cameras, but the D100 is a whole new situation for them. I suspect they are going to be swamped with needless repairs that they could easily have the user upgrade themselves with a flash card.

I guess we'll see. The D60 firmware upgrade didn't go over so well, so who knows. As long as we have idiots who can't upgrade their cameras, and the possibility of a goof-up on the company's end, we may never see a user-upgradable camera.

But I can always hope...
Jason Busch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2002, 6:50 AM   #5

May I know what is the current version of firmware for D100? Is it 1.01? Also, is there anywhere I can find the official upgrade history for each upgrade?

Dennis Lam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2002, 8:56 PM   #6
Default Alleged new D100 firmware version

There are a couple of threads on dpreview.com about an alleged new 2.0 version of d100 firmware. Supposedly it's out of Singapore. The fellow posted a picture with exif information showing a 2.0 firmware release. There are suggestions of playing with the image and demands to know the source of the image....stay tuned. This could get good. One claim is that it fixes the jpeg output. Time will tell.
Old Oct 7, 2002, 5:06 PM   #7
Default D1X,D1H and D100 firmware update V2

is up on NikonUSA website today.
<A href="http://www.nikonusa.com/usa_firmware_upgrades/home.jsp">click here</A>

[Edited on 10-7-2002 by Gerb]
Gerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2002, 10:00 AM   #8
Default Just Checked the Nikon Firmware Site

I just checked the Nikon USA Firmware update site and read through the description of the "enhancements" that come along with the firmware update.

Does anyone know if that list of enhancements is comprehensive? In other words, are there any other enhancements that are not explicitly stated on the site? Like, JPEG sharpening?

msommers is offline   Reply With Quote