Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Aug 31, 2006, 3:06 PM   #1

Hi All,

I set a slow shutter speed of 10 seconds, the metering always shows over-exposed (all the way to the left), how do i go about producing a normal exposure !? If i set a faster speed i can get a normal exposure..

Im using shutter priority.

Any tips ?

Thanks in advance !
Karldwmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 31, 2006, 4:01 PM   #2

You can't just select any shutter speed you want to use and get properly exposed images.

If you select a shutter speed that's too slow for the lighting, ISO speed and smallest available aperture (highest f/stop number) of the lens, you'll get overexposed (too bright) images.

If you select a shutter speed that's too fast for the lighting, ISO speed and largest available aperture (smallest f/stop number) of the lens, you'll get underexposed (too dark) images.

In Shutter Priority (Tv) Mode, when you pick the shutter speed and the camera selects the appropriate aperture, up to the available limits of the lens. Any number of Shutter Speed/Aperture Combinations will produce identical exposure. For example, any of these combinations would produce an image with the same brightness.

1/1000 second at f/2.8
1/500 second at f/4
1/250 second at f/5.6
1/125 second at f/8

When you pick a shutter speed, the camera is simply opening or closing the aperture so the scene is exposed the same in Tv Mode.

Some lenses go to f/22, some to f/32 and some may even go to f/48.

But, even if you can get the desired exposure in the lighting conditions you're shooting in, you can expect softer images at the extreme aperture settings (larger or smaller).

If you really need to use a shutter speed that slow in light that's too bright for the smallest aperture of the lens and you're already shooting at the lowest ISO speed, you can get get a Neutral Density filter to block some of the light (to a point), and you can stack multipler filters together if really needed.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 6:28 PM   #3

Why are you needing a shutter speed that slow?? Under what conditions are you shooting?? As JimC said, you can't just randomly set shutter speeds and hope for proper exposure. I rarely use shutter priority, as you can easily exceed the cameras exposure capabilities by selecting just the shutter speed. Speeds too slow can result inoverexposure and too fast can result in underexposure.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote