Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Sep 3, 2006, 4:04 AM   #1

I've been looking at the ones on e-bay and before I plunk down about $87 bux for the popular one I want to know if anyone here is using them? Also how do they affect the handling of the camera? I'm hoping it'd give me a more stable platform given the extra bit of room for my relatively large hands plus a little extra mass as the camera feels unbalanced with my Sigma EX DG APO 70-200 F2.8 on the front since the lens is much heavier than the camera itself.

Additonally the abilit to have the capacity of two EN-EL3 batteries seems like it'd be all the power you'd ever need for any shooting situation.

Thanks for your input.
Sky042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 3, 2006, 10:34 AM   #2

One thing I miss is the choice to use a grip with the D50/D70. I've only heard the available 3rd party grips rather cheap and plasticky feeling, and limited as they don't have a vertical release button or control dial making them a bit awkward to use.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 10:51 AM   #3

I'm considering this one
The Merkury one which I've seen mentioned.
Sky042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 5:06 AM   #4

I have a 3rd party grip on my D70 and I find it improves the handling a lot. Although it has a vertical release this si linked to the IR sensor by fibre optic; I've never used it as I reckon it would last all of 5 seconds in my hands!

this model also allows the use of 6 x pencil batteries which is a good point.
mickey42 is offline   Reply With Quote