Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Sep 21, 2006, 4:05 PM   #1

I have 4 nikon lenses with my D200, 12 - 24, 18-70, 24-85g and 70 -300D. I have no complaints about any of them. But the 2 mid range zooms are both limited in their range. I want to ditch the 2 mid zooms in favor of 1 wider ranging zoom to stay on the camera most of the time. I am toyingwith ordering and waiting for the 18 - 200 or buying off the shelf the 18 - 135. The latter costs less than half in the UK but does not have VR. The plastic lens mount is also a worry. Any suggestions? Has anyone tried the 18 -135?

Thanks in advance
jetmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 22, 2006, 12:00 AM   #2

If you reflect on the usage of a camera in every day situations you'll come to the conclusion yourself - the 18/200 is the only lens really. 135mm is portrait length and the wide angle is very useful indoors and for landscapebut there are those moments when you'll curse yourself for not having the extra reach of the 18/200, whether it be action shots or kids playing or a portrait opportunity. The lens is just so versatile that it is to form the permanent lens on my new D200 as a back up to the D2X and the pro lenses. Can't say better than that.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2006, 9:35 AM   #3

18/200 "VR" is a very good all around lens. I use mine for 99% of everything I do.

NOW: if they could just come out with an 12/400 "VR"lens !!!

Attached Images
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote