Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Sep 24, 2006, 7:41 PM   #1

I have a Nikon 28-200/3.5-5.6G IF-ED on my D70 right now.http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/28200g.htmIt seems pretty nice. Sometimes I do wish for more sharpness, but I think my D70 doesn't always focus properly.Now I see there is the 18-200VR. I would like to get some more wide angle esp. for traveling and not have to change to my 18-70.So, what is the difference in optical quality between the 2 lenses?thanks!
runner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 16, 2006, 11:30 PM   #2

Hi there,

I've owned the 28-200mm G. I sold it and my 18-70mm for the 18-200mm when it came out. I usedall of theselenses on a D70s. I found the 28-200mm swift and sure, with surprisingly good image quality. I even used it in a not spectacularly lit indoor arena for ice hockey (with flash mind you).

While Idon't have images to compare side by side, IQ wise in good light you're not getting much of an upgrade in the 18-200mm IMO. In lower light and witha steady subject you do get the plus of VR adding to IQ.I think the 18-200 might give you a bit betterAF speed. But for me the real plus is range. Build quality is better on the 18-200, but then again, on the 28-200 you have a zoom lock and a limiter (would have been appreciated by many I am sure on the 18-200).

The 28-200 is significantly cheaper, and ifWA is a concern you maydo just as well hunting the used market for something in the 10-12-15 to 24-30 range, such as the Tokina 12-24 that seemsto be much appreciated by users. Ijust picked up a used Sigma 15-30mm for cheap, as I love shooting wide and close. But to each their own.Just don'texpect too much difference image-wise in the two lenses you ask of.

Hope this helps some.

twmangrove is offline   Reply With Quote