Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Oct 10, 2006, 8:08 AM   #1

I have a nikon D50 that came with the standard 18-55 lens.

As this is my only lens at the moment I am thinking of getting another. At the moment I am looking at the zoom lenses such as Nikon AF Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6 G Lens but not having much experience my question is will I miss the 55-70 zone that I won't have covered by my lenses and how much of a nuisance is it to change lenses.

From reading reviews I understand there is a softness issue with long zoom lenses so would the slightly shorter 55-200 be better or to save having to change lens not bothering with my old 18-55 and just getting a one size fits all 18-200?

any suggestions on a macro lens would also be appreciated.

Most of my photography is outdoors, landscapes, plants etc.

hol is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 10, 2006, 4:33 PM   #2

Have you considered the Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG MACRO? http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/len...mp;navigator=3

It gives decent results and the macro function is for real getting to half life size.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2006, 8:20 PM   #3

Changing lenses is not that big of a deal. Make sure the camera is off, and have the new lens ready to go. Also avoid changing lenses in wet, windy, dusty conditions.

I doubt you'll miss the 55-70 range if you go with the setup you metioned. 18-200 is a great walkaround do everything lens. Be aware, they have distortion throughout the entire lens especially on the wide end.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote