Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Oct 20, 2006, 9:22 AM   #1

I`m posting this message here because i`m an Nikon D50 owner and frankly i wouldn`t know where else to post it ?

i`m thinking of buying a superzoom lens... what would you suggest between : Tokina 80-400mm / Sigma 50-500mm & Tamron 200-500mm ?. I must say there is also a very good Sigma 80-400mm with stabilisation but at these ranges i wonder if it`s possible to make crispy sharp pics handheld? If a tripod is necessary then why have stabilisation ?
guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 21, 2006, 12:31 AM   #2

I recently saw the Nikon 200-400 VR at a local store and my jaw just dropped! I can't afford it though. I did asked about VR on long lenses, and the guy said some people do handheld these lenses. Also VR could help with lenses mounted on a monopad.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2006, 6:57 AM   #3

I have a tamron 200-400. It is a large beast, and difficult to handhold unless you are in very bright, and able to use shutter speeds over 1/750. Even then, I've bracedmyself tp make sure I ger usable shots.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2006, 11:05 AM   #4

As a motor racing reporter I often have discussions with photographers and last weekend we had the German touring cars here at Le Mans for the first time. Being trackside I carried the 70/200 with TC14E and the 200/400 which adds up to a lot of weight. I was intrigued to see two Canon photographers with the Sigma 50/500 so I discussed it with them. They were delighted with the lens and said talk of slow focusing was a load of rubbish. They, like me, earn their living by taking good photos so I must place confidence in their opinion. Oh, and they were both hand holding the lens, or balancing it on the track side wall. I tried it and found it no heavier seemingly than the 70/200 set up I was using at the time. I'm going to borrow one myself when I can to try it out. My only concern is the aperture limits of the lens especially on a cloudy day.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote