Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Nov 27, 2006, 2:26 PM   #1

I was Xmas shopping when I went into the local photo shop and they hada 28-105 mm from quantaray lens $119.00 . I knowyou get what you payfor buthas any here ever usea quantaray lens if so I would like to hearwhat you have to say about them.
Mr. Bounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2006, 11:18 AM   #2

I believe these were custom made for Wolf Camera out of Atlanta. When I first got into photography I bought a 700mm & 14mm since they were far less expensive than better quality. I enjoyed learning with them and they both still work with my OM bodies. Optics ain't that good though. Yep, you get what you pay for. If you just want to goof around they might be OK, but if you want good quality images you'd probably be better off with Nikor.
jsfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2007, 11:51 PM   #3

Quantaray lenses are cheap lenses sold by camera chains because they are so profitable for the store.

Some are OK optically and some are garbage. The build quality differs from lens to lens so if you have to buy this brand buy it from a store where you can walk outside and take a few shots and try different lenses until you are happy with the results.

Best advice is stick with Nikkor as they will last longer, give better results and all the Nikkor lenses are chromatically balanced so they all see color the same. Not true of other manufacturers like Quantaray also sold under the name Promaster.

geyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2007, 7:14 PM   #4

Mr. Bounce wrote:
I was Xmas shopping when I went into the local photo shop and they hada 28-105 mm from quantaray lens $119.00 .
This is the same lens as the Sigma 28-105mm f/3.8-5.6. Sigma makes them for Wolf/Ritz camera (Quantaray is the Wolf/Ritz store brand).

It's $119.95 brand new at your local Ritz/Wolf

Quantaray 28-105mm f/3.8-5.6 AF Lens

This is a consumer grade (read low quality) lens.

You can see some user opinions of the lens at http://www.photozone.de

Just scroll to the bottom of this page to the User Performance Surveys Section and select Nikkor AF-S and AF-I lenses and perform a query for all lenses on the next page and it will be in the list:

Here is a screen crop from the results (it's the lens at the top). It's rated poor to very poor across the board by users:

Attached Images
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2007, 7:55 PM   #5

Personally, I steer clear of the Quantaray series. I am not positive, but I have been told in the past that they are Sigma rejects. That is why they appear to be fairly inexpensive.

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote