Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Dec 6, 2006, 12:30 PM   #1

This is my first time posting so if this has been asked in the past, please pardon my ignorance but I need the expertise of this community.

I am in the market for a dslr and have narrowed it down to the D80. However, I have a question regarding the lens kit. There are two appealing offers I have found but do not know which one is better or more practical. This will be my first Nikon, so I have no current Nikon lenses at my disposal.

With that out of the way, I am looking at:

1) D80 with a two lens set: Nikkor 28-80 mm F/3.3-5.6G AF zoom lens & 70-300MM F4-5.6 G Auto Focus zoom lens. This all for $1,199.99, or

2) D80 w/Nikkor 18-135MM F/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S for $1, 299.

Is the single lens kit more practical although it increases the package price by $100.00 and will I get better quality pics. Or is the two/lens kit a better deal although maybe not as convenient. I will eventually decide the convenience factor so quality of the lens and subsequential pic quality is where I am more concerned.

Thanks in advance for any help and info you can share!

bori is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 9, 2006, 8:23 AM   #2

Hi !
I would go for Nikon 18-200 and save myself from the hassle of changing lenses all together. I own D70s and am completely happy, however I also own Panasonic FZ30 which I find nearly as good and more user friendly
An image quality is great. For my D70s I use fixed focal lenses. 24 2.8, 50 1.8 and 180 2.8. All of these lenses can outperform all zooms but the best ones. I hope this helps. Louis
Louis Lazecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2006, 2:30 PM   #3

Ok heres some conflicting advice for you lol
I've had my Nikon camera for about 7 months, and in that time i've learned what I shoot. And because of that I've bought lenses that catered to my shooting style (or circumstance)
I started with the super cheap but not very good Kit Lens (18-55mm f3.5-5.6)
100$ CAD ontop of the body, A very cheap lens. that Now I NEVER USE.
I keep it around because it has a 52mm filter thread so I can screw on my ND400 or Infrared filter, but thats the only reason why.

Since then i've purchased the 50mm f1.8, a few zoom 2.8's and an ultra wide.

So If you don't really know what you want and are planning on getting more lenses in the future, then I would say just get the 18-55 for dirt cheap. Since in the end I don't think you will use your kit lens.
Depends on your budget too, I've spent around 1500$ on lenses After buying the camera, And I feel like I have a complete set now.

Oh and don't get the 28-80mm its Not wide enough for digital and its probably nikon's worst lens.
Lexiticus is offline   Reply With Quote