Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Dec 16, 2006, 1:28 PM   #1

the more I read this forum the more confussed I get.. I have the Nikon d80 on order and it comes with the 28-200mm af lens..some tell me I need the 18-55mm auto lens and then I read some that say the 18-55mm is no good someone give me the real dirt on this ...
jess russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 16, 2006, 6:53 PM   #2

Yes there are some that may say the 18-55 is not good. No, it is not pro level. It has some issues....build quality is not so great, there is some distortion, and the focal length is a bit limiting. However, the typical user will not notice any of these problems. I doubt many would be able to spot any optical deficiencies at normal print sizes, and most would prefer the small, lightweight size. This is not a pro level lens, but for the average user, it takes sharp pictures and offers a lot of bang for the buck. To get something appreciably better, you'd have to pay 4-5 times the price.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2006, 11:01 PM   #3

Why don't you wait until you get your camera and the 28-200, try it out, and figure out what other lens you need. Chances are, you will need a wider lens.

The 18-55 is a good lens for it's price. I had it and sold it only after getting an 18-200VR. I would have kept it as a backup lens, but I'm tight on $$$.

If I were you I'd probably stick to the 28-200, and then save up for a super wide lens, like a Sigma 10-20 or a Tokina 12-24, especially if you plan on shooting a lot of landscape or architecture pics. The Sigma 10-20 is currently $460 at B&H:

Good Luck!

rey is offline   Reply With Quote