Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jan 11, 2007, 11:53 AM   #11

I would probably look at the 50 f1.8 or 85 f 1.8. The macro lenses are tack sharp, but as was mentioned early, that's not so great for portraits. Also, focusing is a bit different when using the dedicated macro lenses, which may cause some issues.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2007, 9:31 PM   #12

I am actually in the same boat as yuo monx. Maybe not the same budget, but seriously looking at the 50mm 1.8d.

And I personally love the tack sharp feel to a shot. One thing that as an amatuer to photography with my d50 and 18-55mm kit lens, is that I am not getting the fully sharp shots that I want. Now it could just be me, but I feel that I am stretching the love when it comes to the kit lens. And the 50mm 1.8d seems like the best step up from what I have.

Oh and as for tac sharp and portraits, from what Monx has said, he is shooting in areas where the faces tell a thousand stories just on their own, and to lose any detail in such shots would be bad.

Ollie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2007, 10:59 PM   #13

hey telecorder, welcome in the hood well...........suzhou hangzhou shanghai and beijing might not be that much hood but you get the idea....

I have done thebeijing,shanghai,suzhou hangzhou trip as a tourleader for a company many times, a most excellent trip, highly recommendable!

Depending on the weather at the time, i would get something fast and wide. Many temples in china don't allow flash foto but high iso and fast wide can do the trick. Otherwise a decent walkaround lens with tele would be something for you. The tele would allow you to get some personal shots of people without having to be 1m away.

The sharpness of the portraitlens is essentiel seing as it is the roughnessi want to portray. I think the nikon Micro nikkor 60mm 2.8 G is on the top of the list at the moment.with the 85mm 1.8d right behind

have fun in

the forbidden city,the summerpalace, the great wall, temple of heaven, hutongs, tiananmen square.(beijing) and at Jinmao tower, yuyuan garden, waitan (the bund ) sailing the huangpuriver,hearing jazz at the peace hotel, shopping at nanjing lu (shanghai) The garden of the master of the nets, the suzhou silkfactory, panmen. ( suzhou ) Westlake,lingyin temple, The 1000year show *( highly recommendable ) the old city street, and perhaps the teafields of jinglond tea village. ( hangzhou )

monx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2007, 11:33 PM   #14

Many thanks, Monx... The tour is through Citislinc for the Chamber of Commerce Business tour... Sounds like you know the tour...

[align=left]Day 1 LAX-Beijing[/align]
[align=left]Day 2 • Sunday, March 4, 2007 • Beijing 5 Star King Wing Hotel[/align]

[align=left]Beijing, the Capital of China. You will be met by your local tour guide at the airport.[/align]

[align=left]Day 3 • Monday, March 5, 2007 • Beijing[/align]

[align=left]Visit the Tian An Men Square and the Temple of Heaven. Sightseeing also includes the[/align]
[align=left]Forbidden City and the Summer Palace, known for its Long Corridor with painted gallery.[/align]
[align=left]Day 4 • Tuesday, March 6, 2007 • Beijing[/align]

[align=left]The Great Wall, the 4,000- mile long and 2,000 years old construction, is said to be the only[/align]
[align=left]man-made structure visible by naked eye from the moon. Visit to the Ming Tombs before dining[/align]
[align=left]on a Roasted Beijing duck dinner.[/align]
[align=left]Day 5 • Wednesday March 7, 2007 • Beijing/Shanghai/Suzhou • 4 Star Glamor Hotel[/align]

[align=left]Spend the morning in Beijing and the afternoon sightseeing in Shanghi and Suzhouto including[/align]
[align=left]the Lingering Garden, Tiger Hill, Hanshan Temple and the National Embroidery Institute. Dinner[/align]
[align=left]show with traditional Chinese music.[/align]
[align=left]Day 6 • Thursday, March 8, 2007 • Suzhou/Hangzhou • 5 Star Regal Hotel[/align]

[align=left]Morning bus tour to Hangzhou to visit the Economic Development Zone and the centuries old[/align]
[align=left]Lingyin Temple.[/align]
[align=left]Day 7 • Friday March 9, 2007 • Hangzhou/Shanghai • 4 Star Guangdong Hotel[/align]

[align=left]Morning boat cruise on West Lake with relaxing stopover at jewel-like pagodas and tea houses.[/align]
[align=left]Afternoon tour bus trip to Shanghai.[/align]
[align=left]Day 8 • Saturday March 10, 2007 • Shanghai[/align]

[align=left]Sightseeing includes the Yu Garden, a maze of marvelous pavilions, ponds, rocky works and[/align]
[align=left]over arching trees. Visit to the Bund, a famous waterfront park. Business visit to the Pudong[/align]
[align=left]economic development zone.[/align]
[align=left]Day 9 • Sunday, March 11, 2007 • Shanghai/Los Angeles:G[/align]
[align=left]At this time, I'm glad that I'm taking the week off after returning to get the internal clock reset. [/align]
[align=left]I have my 18-70 DX and Tam 70-300 LD but figured I needed a faster WA. Not sure if the 50 1.4/1.8 would be wide enough... Heard our passports and visasare on their way back to us so its a countdown now to make the mind up and get the fast wide end lens.[/align]
Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote