Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jan 12, 2007, 9:19 AM   #1

I am ready to buy a Nikon D80 (just parted with my old F3!) and need some input on lens choices. I will be shooting landscapes so sharp wide angle is important to me. I would also like to shoot some close-ups of flowers, leaves, etc. (no insect shots--don't need to be THAT close!).

I have heard great things about the Nikkor 12-24mm ED AF lens and yeah, I know it 'aint cheap!

Any thoughts on buying a fixed focal length wide angle (I'm already missing my manual focus Nikkor24mm f/2!)and then a 'general' zoom lens?

Any thoughts are appreciated!

gf419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 12, 2007, 11:00 PM   #2

If you can afford the Nikon 12-24 and will use it often, then go for it. Possible alternatives are Sigma 10-20 and Tokina 12-24. I have the Tokina one and happy with it. Another option people have done is get the Nikon 10.5 fisheye and then de-fish it when needed. That's a good choice if you're into fish-eye.

For "general zoom" it depends on what you want out of it. I have the Nikon 18-200VR and love it as an all-in-one lens. If you want top quality, then Nikon 17-55 F/2.8 or 28-70 F/2.8 (aka "the beast") is what pros seems to love. Keep in mind that the 28-70 is non-DX, while the 17-55 is DX.

For macro the new Nikon 105mm VR Micro is well liked. (This is my next lens).

For telephoto, the 70-200 F/2.8 VR is a favorite by pros. If you don't need VR, then the 80-200 might be good enough. But the slower 70-300 VR has gotten good reviews as well if you don't need fast lens, or if you don't want the heavy weight.

(Disclaimer: The only lenses that I mentioned that I actually own are the Tokina 12-24 and Nikon 18-200VR, but I wouldn't hesitate getting what pros use if I have the money for them.)

Good Luck!

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2007, 7:53 PM   #3

I have the Nikkor 12-24mm lens and really like it a lot. For macros I use the Nikkor 60mm Macro. I also like the Tamron 18-200mm lens a lot as well. All have performed very well on my D-70/D-50 cameras.

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote