Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Feb 16, 2007, 9:37 AM   #1

I am still trying to decide if I want the 85mm 1.8, or a wide angle Nikon lens. I have the D80 with the 18-135mm and 50mm 1.8. I'd like some feedback on some really good wide angle lenses. I have a 50mm, so I don't think the 28mm is worthwhile at this point. But I'd like something fast (if affordable) at a wider angle. Please give me some feedback on your experiences with these lenses. I think I'm trying to do more landscape-type photography. Not sure if I should just use my 18-135mm for this and get an 85mm, or take the plunge and get a wider angle. Don't know why I'm struggling so much with this. Seems I should know which end I want to pursue! :?
Cleo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 16, 2007, 6:52 PM   #2

It's not your fault. You're struggling because their aren't any good "wide angle" prime lens choices available for cropped sensor digital cameras (most of them currently available). This is unfortunate, because I prefer primes myself.

What used to be wide angle lens, say a 24mm, now is effectively a 36mm (not so wide). A 20mm effectively becomes a 30mm. The pricey 14mm becomes effectively a 21mm. Not a cost effective solution.

Though I prefer primes, unless you're shooting a FF sensor digital like the 5D, your only real choice is a wide angle zoom.

I recently got the Tokina 12-24 (effectively a 18 - 36) & so far I am quite pleased with it. I understand the Nikon 12 - 24 is nice as well (no personal experience).

fastglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2007, 6:44 PM   #3

Thanks for your response. I've read a lot of great things about that Tokina 12-24mm lens. I think I'm going to go try one out at the store and consider ordering it. I've read it is pretty heavy! B&H reviews seem to say it's a pretty excellent lens. And as it's half the price of a Nikon, it seems that much more excellent.
Cleo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2007, 5:30 PM   #4

I have the Tokina 12-24 and really love it. I used it a lot, earlier today when I shot my goddaughter's birthday party(indoors with external flash). Another lens that has received good reviews and feedback is the Sigma 10-20. It is wider, and the difference is noticeable. You should also check it out, if you can find it at your local stores. The Sigma is also easier to find than the Tokina.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote