Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Mar 1, 2007, 9:49 AM   #1

I just picked up the Nikon macro 105 fixed lens for my D200. Being where I am in the field, I made a mistkae, I think. I did not realize , did not think it through, did not go try it out, that it is a fixed lens. Don't get me wrong, it is gorgeous. However, I do a lot of flowers and spiders and bugs and small stuff in my garden. I want some flexibility. I should have investigated and gotten a macro zoom. Two questions, how is B and H on exchanges number 1 and number 2, can someone recommend a Tokina macro for instance? Understand, I want to get as close as possible, as much mag as possible, and it be compatible with the D200. Your help is overwhelmingly appreciated.
nsclcctl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 1, 2007, 10:27 AM   #2

I suggest you learn how to get the best out of the 105 for the following reasons:

1. a zoom "macro" will not give you as high a magnification as a true macro lens

2. a zoom "macro" will probably only give its maximum magnification at one focal length

3. if you want small things and bugs, you need the highest magnification

4. the 105mm will be sharper than a zoom, and so make cropping for those even smaller bugs a possiblity.

I may be wrong - it is just my opinion. I have never had a zoom lens which had a really good macro (usually 1:4 or 1:3.5 at best) and I own a Nikkor 60mm Micro which I love.

Attached Images
keith1200rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2007, 11:59 AM   #3

The 105 is an excellent lens. I recommend it highly. You can't go wrong with that lens in your arsenal!

haans _gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2007, 12:35 PM   #4

If your shooting macro, especially with skittish creatures, the 105mm you have is just about the best lens available for that type of work. I'm not sure what additional flexibility you need, but I wouldn't trade that lens for any zoom lens on the market that has a "macro" function. The macro function on those zooms is marginal at best, and will not yield true macro results. If you need zoom ability, there are many decent, inexpensive tele zooms out there.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2007, 9:14 AM   #5

Thank you, now I understand That was great advice.
nsclcctl is offline   Reply With Quote