Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Mar 25, 2007, 10:10 AM   #1

i'm planning a new lens for potrait shot. actually in my mind got 3 lenses which i don't know which to choose. hope somebody here can give me some advice and tell me the good and bad point of the lenses.

1/ nikkor 70-200 VR (this is good because it is zoom lens. more convenience if u need to zoom it. but the bad point of this is the size of the lens. and it is f2.8, enough for potrait?)

2/ Carl Zeiss Planar T* 85mm F1.4 (know this lens from some forum and website like pbase. it is good because f1.4. size easy to carry. the pic quality is super. but it can't zoom.)

3/ nikkor 85mm f1.4 (same as carl zeiss, maybe the pic quality is slighly lose compare to zeiss but still consider super. the price... if not wrong is cheaper than the above 2 lenses.)

for your info, i'm using D200.

thanks and appreciate for all the reply.

koshinki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 30, 2007, 10:44 PM   #2

Most of the time if you are shooting people you can move in or out at will. There may be times that is not the case, but for the most part you can move around.
With that in mind I would go for the 85 f1.4 or the 50 f1.4. I have the 70-200VR and it is a great lens, but I use it for more than portraits. If you can afford it and don't mind the 70mm starting point than go for it. I'm not sold on the Zeiss lenses. If someone wanted to give me one I'd take it :idea:

dougste is offline   Reply With Quote