Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Apr 8, 2007, 2:30 PM   #1

I got a D50 for Christmas and must say that I love the quality of the pictures. Now I am a complete newbie here and no nothing technical about lens. The kit came with the 18-55. It's ok but I belong to a HOG (harley owners group) and need to get action shots and zoom as well as indoors at restarurants (yes, we eat alot). I used the lens from my Nikon film which is a Quantary 70-300. I took some of the most outstanding pics from an easter egg hunt with the kids with this lens. My problem.....it's alittle large and also is there a lens that would give me that great zoom (I love using it in portrait mode) but still be able to use it in confined spaces such as a restaruant table. Cannot afford a VR.
jstricker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8, 2007, 3:11 PM   #2

Not without breaking the bank. Longer telezooms are typically slow (larger minimum aperature) which limits their effectiveness in low light situations. You'll either need flash or a bright prime (single focal length lens) to capture low light situations. You may find the 18-135 to be a decent option, although it is on the slow side as well.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2007, 4:31 PM   #3

Hi - I can also highly recommend the Nikkor 18-200VR which is a tremendous all-round lens! Very compact and to make it more light sensitive you can always bump up the ISO mode on your camera.

As you are a Harley fan ... here's a beautiful bike I sawat Santa Park, Rovaniemi, Finland. Photo was taken using my D50 + Nikkor 18-200VR combination.

Cheers - Herman
Attached Images
hauer54 is offline   Reply With Quote