Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jul 2, 2007, 3:20 PM   #21

See? Those are great pics man! Dont trade your 70-300mm VR! For performace at this focal range this lens is IMO the best for hand held.

Good work on your shots.
nexusworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2007, 3:27 PM   #22

Thanks, I'm keep'en it for sure after this last weekend's results
Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2007, 9:19 PM   #23

On the canadian Nikon website, the 55-200m VR lens is listed as $440

The 55-200mm (without VR) is $200 cheaper at $240.

Is VR worth the extra $200?
photoshane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2007, 11:38 PM   #24

To date the lenses I have for my D80 are...

The kit Nikon 18-135mm, Nikon(s) 24mm,50mm,and 60mm micro,, Sigma 70-200 HSM and a Sigma 1.4x Teleconverter,, and as of this morning, a Nikon 55-200mm VR.

Hey, at the price, I just had to try it. I mean it can't be any worse than the 18-135mm kit lens, which is useful but terribly distorted almost all the way through its zoom range to one degree or another. You don't notice thisout in the open fields but in town amongst the tall buildings, it makes them look like Laurel and Hardy,, some bulging in the middle and others tall, skinny and sucked inwards in the middle. Still, as I said, it's useful, just not a great lens. Since I had specifically bought the 24 and 50mm lenses to get around the barrelling at the lower end and the 60mm micro for general and macro stuff, I still wanted another general purpose zoom, which wasn't too heavy and clumsy like the Sigma 70-200mm (even thoughthis is a great lens indeed).

Just 2 nights ago I was performing my almost daily ritual of keeping my eye on the prices of all the local camera shops in town, when I saw the 55-200mm VR and at first I thought they must have misprinted the price, being "VR", but after I found it was true I had to go have a look. Of course, looking means buying, doesn't it..??? If this lens fails to live up to any expectations, it can just go in the cupboard but for the price, which was aboutequal to twice the price of the standard 50mm f1.8, it has to be thought of as a reasonable purchase.

I snapped a few quickies this morning andgot a mixed bag. Indoors, a few shots still looked bordeline for image stability, but these were taken in lowish light with no flash, where you could almost have made a cup of coffee waiting for the shutter to complete its cycle. One shot of a colourful carboard box only a few feet away, and using the flash, came out superb - dead sharp and crisp. Outdoors in the bright sunshinethough and at any zoom, it was quite good and more than acceptable, providing good usable shots of distant hills or birds on the roof or the ID plate on my trailer... I'll give it a good burnout tomorrow...
fewpics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2007, 1:25 AM   #25

I didn't really get a great chance to get out and try it, thanks to liquid sunshine (rain), but I did manage to sneek in a few, between raindrops...

With the flash and indoors (or even outsidein close surroundings), the shots aresurprisingly good. In the brief spasms of sunshine, I learned that once I stopped using too much zoom, the shots came out rather still, but with the lens fully extended I just had to steady it a little more to get pretty darned good results. I think I expected rather too much from "VR" in one or two shots and was soon reminded that no amount of image stabilization would help a reallypoor camera operator. In all cases, the images were remarkably rich in colour (typical of most Nikon Dxx cameras) and for closeups of less than a couple of metres, about 6 foot, I love the resultant images. They were certainly clean and crisp and again, if the flash was depolyed, they looked all that much better...

For an "El Cheapo", all plastic (hmmm, I wonder if the lenses are plastic too - just kidding..!!!) budget, almost kit type lens with VR,, I think this one may turn out to be one of those "must have" items, something like the standard 50mm 1.8 which yields beautiful results and for only a small handful of bucks...
fewpics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2007, 6:04 PM   #26

Very nice lens ...

Here are some pics using the 55-200 VR

mika888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2007, 5:13 PM   #27

I triedout several lenses as companion to my kit lens 18-55 that is a very good lens for the costimo on my D40,my old friend has all the followig for me to try out ,and I much prefered and purchased for myse the 55-200 VR because of the VR. The very reasonableprice .And the small size', Also at a pinchI found Icould usuallykeep iton the D40all day and notchange it for the 18-55 and use itas an acceptable alldaywalkaround lens.

Not so the large 70 -300, not really wide enoughat 70 mm start off, and 300mm not needed too long ,good for sport or birdies maybe so but I dont do those.

I thought 70-300 too big and heavy and I never seemed to need the long end very much, 18-135 no VRsevere drawback at 135mm endfor me ,Some shots on the long end had shake sometimes I found ,

Please exuse bad grammer/ spelling and this is just my point of view
rodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2007, 7:31 AM   #28

I completely agree with you. The Nikkor 55-200mmVR is a excellent lens considering the price and the very useful size. Like you, I often use it as my walk around lens. It is an excellent budget lens. Here is a sample photo taken with the D40X, the 55-200mmVR lens, and the SB-800 flash.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote