Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old May 30, 2007, 2:33 PM   #1

I am looking for a decent long lens on a budget. I currently use a Sigma 70-300mm lense and it is very soft at long lengths. (250mm+)

I am looking onto buying a replacement lens for my Nikon D50, although I am on a tight budget (approx £150).

Does anyone have any advice on what I should be going for as I am not really sure what to go for - if at all replace my existing one.

I also have an 18-55mm Nikon kit lens and would like to know anyones opinion on what to go for.

Thanks in advance, Chris
chrisbwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 30, 2007, 8:17 PM   #2

The Nikon AF Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6D ED has a decent reputation for a consumer grade lans. See http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/index.php I used to have a Sigma 70-300mm APO DG MACRO but found I couldn't handhold it at all and get good results. I finaly traded it in on a Nikon AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 IF-ED and haven't regrettted it. See http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=66 for a sample.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2007, 5:11 PM   #3

Thanks bob for the reply. I have looked into these lenses and found the 70-300 nikkor slightly out of my budget. I have gone for the 55-200 VR Nikkor for now, and will sell my Sigma, as like you, could not hold the camera at long focal lengths and don't fancy carrying around a tripod!

Might still go for the 70-300 when can afford it, although hear the 55-200 is a very good all round lens.

Regards, Chris
chrisbwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2007, 4:14 AM   #4

Bob is right on the dot. I was thinking of the low budget 70-300 when everyone says the VR version is definatelly better. Save for it if you can. I bought the 70-300mm because of some comments here and reviews that I have read.

Honestly is a good buy, and no regrets. The few hundred dollars more gave one of the best shots I ever taken in my life. The VR definately helps and even at 300mm, I get very decent pictures. After getting this lens, I know why it is worth paying extra money for good quality lenses.
nexusworks is offline   Reply With Quote