Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jan 27, 2008, 9:38 PM   #21

Withmy D80 I have found the secret to any success I can claim is in having many lenses, and swapping amongst them quite often, so as to get used to each one and know where they are best suited.. Also, you should have an "all-rounder" lens,, one that should nearly always be fitted to the camera for that "Oh quick - over there" off the cuff shot. For that, I have the 18-200 VR. Even though this lens suffers from a wee bit of distortion at different focal lengths, it is the single best lens to have fitted for all purpose use, in my opinion. The VR system can also make a silk purse out the the proverbial sows ear, so it is almost a must for those candid shots, and you couldn't be more ready than with the 18-200mm VR...

Wildlife and motor racing (in particular - motorcycle racing) are twofavouritesof my photography. Wildlife is so diverse though so it's kind of hard to use one lens. Birds, Deer, Cattle, Horses, Insects, are but a few of the many subjects, and I would say that each one needs a different lens, then you have to consider what type of shot you are after with them,, moving or stationary, again requiring different qualities in each lens. Usually in the open fields, I try to take a tripod, the 18 - 200 VR, the 70 - 300mm VR and a 60mm Micro, for those tiny little creatures you sometimes stumble over. With wildlife and larger creatures, I prefer to have VR control as I am prone to panic if the subject wont stay perfectly still, which often results results in less that ideal shots with movment often spoiling the moment...
At the track, it's a bit more clear cut for me,either getting shots of the car/bike going past at high speed usually at a close to moderate distance,, having to zoom in to the far corner of the track and capture the essence here or a head-on from the end of that straight. Still shots in the pits are best left to the 18-200mm VR or even a 24 - 120mm VR . When I visit the track I take the 18 - 200 VR, the 70 - 300 VRandthe 70 - 200mm Sigma with a 1.4 Teleconveter.Just as important though is the use of a good tripodwith thecorrect head and a monopod.
I am sure everyone has their favourite lenses, as I do mine, and we may differ slightly in taste, style and expense,, but one thing is universal, we all go after the best results available to us and for that we each have our own technique...

Make sure you get a good lens bag too. Very important...!!!

fewpics is offline   Reply With Quote