Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Nov 16, 2007, 4:22 PM   #1

I recently bought a D80 with the 18-135mm kit lense.
I am now looking at VR lenses that will give me more zoom such as the 18-200mm, the 55-200mm or the 70-300mm.
Someone told me that the 18-200 sacrifices quality for the wide range - and I would be better off with the 70-300mm. The 55-200mm is obviously a nice choice from a price perspective although I understand it uses an older VR system and I would have to change lenses more often - but am I sacrificing quality for such a low price Nikon lense??
So is there a good web site I can use for reference to compare these various lenses?
csd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 16, 2007, 4:27 PM   #2

To answer my own question - I just found this site thanks to a post to another question:
Are there any other sites that provide good reference?
Any strong opinions - good or bad - on trading off between the three lenses I mentioned? (specifically if you went through the same trade-off - I am sure a lot of people own one of these lenses and are happy with them).
Thanks in advance for any input!
csd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2007, 7:06 PM   #3

You'll see links to lens reviews with Imatest results in them in at the top of the page.

If you scroll down to the bottom of the page, you'll find "User Performance Surveys", too. You can pick a lens type, go to the following page, leave everything else at defaults, press a "submit query" button and see user reported opinions of lenses in a variety of categories.

Here is another resource:

I prefer to use the old site to see MTF tests (fortunately the new site owners kept it the way it was if you use http://old.photodo.com ). The new site is too much trouble to use there are so many filters and choices trying to get to what you could see at a glance on the original site. But, these tests haven't been updated for newer lenses:

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote