Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Dec 9, 2007, 11:12 AM   #1

Hi There-

This is my very first post here so forgive me if I'm not to "hip" on the photo lingo. My questions is this. I have an old Nikon F 35mm camera from the late 70's that is in prestine condition. My father left it to me when he passed away in 1983, and Im am interested in upgrading to my first digital SLR andbecause this camera is a "Nikon F" , Does this mean that todaysNikon cameras will still fit the "Nikon F" Lenses?

I have insterted some photos of the camera and the lens for your inspectioin to get an ides of what I'm asking.

I saw inSteves reviews that the Nikon D40 takes all "F" fitting lenses. So am I to believe that my "F" lens will fit the "F"mounts today ???? I do hope I explained this well enough for you to understand. Please feel free to reply back to this whith any sugestions or questions you still might have. I will be checking back frequently. Thanks for your time and look forward to hearing from you soon.

Sincerely- D Ward

Attached Images
Dward is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 9, 2007, 1:28 PM   #2

Non-CPU Manual Focus Nikkor lenses won't meter on the entry level Nikon dSLR models.

So, you'd be shooting blind (you'd need to estimate the ISO speed, aperture and shutter speed needed, or use an external light meter to measure it.

Also, if the lenses are not AI (Auto Indexing) you'll risk damaging most Nikon DSLR models (although you can mount them OK on a D40 or D40x, you still wouldn't have a meter).

Now, you can use a third party Nikkor F mount to Canon EF mount lens adapter on the entry level Canon dSLR models with older Nikkor MF lenses and have metering.

But, you can't use them with the entry level Nikon dSLR models if you want metering (and you have to convert them to AI with the D80 if they're not Auto Indexing lenses to mount them safely according to Nikon, and you still wouldn't have metering).

The least expensive current dSLR available from Nikon that would meter with non-CPU Manual Focus lenses is the D200.

Unless they're very high end lenses and you've really taken a liking to them (or want to go with a higher end Nikon body), your best bet would probably be to replace them with newer lenses if you go with a dSLR.

You may find the compatibility charts on this page to be helpful:

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote