Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Dec 18, 2007, 9:10 PM   #1

Hello to you all, in a previous post I mention I bought a Sigma 18-200 OS. Total disappointment. Unit was defective. Good for Sigma!!! I was to go for the Nikon 18-200 VR but at the last minute I opted for the 55-200 VR which had a $50 rebate. So it makes it around $239. I am completely amazed by the quality of the images this lens produces. It lives to my expectations. That is to the expectations of mu budget and my (for now) quality standards and what I can achieve in photography right now. So am I happy... Thanks Germain.
Attached Images
Karmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 31, 2007, 6:28 PM   #2

I have one myself and use it constantly... I am actually selling my 18-70 and 70-300 to buy the 18-200VR...

Here is one shot, "of the hip" on my boat at about 50' from subject.... slight rolling seas too...

Not bad for a "cheap" lens

Unedited, just resize at link:

Posted image is resized and less DPI.

Attached Images
garjowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2008, 8:20 AM   #3

I am really glad to hear that you are pleased with the Nikkor 55-200mmVR. It is a really good lens for the price. Because I have recently acquired the Nikkor 18-200mmVR, I tend to use my 55-200mmVR less, but it is still a great little lens.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2008, 9:51 PM   #4

I got one for my neice for her D50. She raves about the images she is getting from it. since she is a film and tv graduate, maybe it's not all the lens.

clintwmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2008, 9:27 PM   #5

When they first hit the local shops, I went and bought one of these lenses. I must admit, when I saw "VR" and then saw the relatively cheap price, I thought "there has to be a catch",, maybe a batch of excess production bought at a lesser price or something similar. I mean, how can it be VR and cost so little.? But then I found that this was not a special, just a "normal" price and for a good reason. You DON'T get something for nothing, not even this 55-200mm lens. Nevertheless being my first VR lens and at the low price, it had to be worth it, even if just for practise, to break me in to the VR world. If it fails, I can just put it in the cupboard and forget it...

It is made from all plastic to keep the cost down and although the experts may not like this cost cutting feature, it affords potentially lots of people their first glipmse of the VR world - It did for me...

I am happy to say not only am I thoroughly impressed with all pictures fromthis lens, but also in the past eight months or more that I have owned it, it performs faultlessly and for a cheapie, it may just get the 'pick of the litter' award,, all things considered...

Its focal range is a bit limited - especially for closeups, unless you like to photograph eyebrows or noses or car tyres (tires). Used in the right place though,it works a treat...

Bang per buck, this is one great little lens...

fewpics is offline   Reply With Quote