Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jan 8, 2008, 9:53 AM   #1

I am going to purchase the above mentioned lens and want some advice as to the benefits of the Silent Wave Motor.

I am a beginner and currently have a D50, but will be upgrading it to either a D80 or a D200 this month.

I will mostly be shooting my children playing sports. Mainly Hockey.

Questions are: What does the Silent Wave Motor do exactly (lamens terms please) and is it worth it for me to have? Will not having it hamper my results?

Thanks in advance.
blu_by_you is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2008, 10:19 AM   #2

With AF-S lenses, the focus motor in the camera body is not used. As a general rule, these types of lenses are going to focus faster than a lens that relies on a body based focus motor for equivalent lenses. Focusing is also very quiet with this type of system (which can sometimes give the impression that focusing is faster than it really is, because of the lack of noise).

But, some of the speed differences between lenses depends on the camera model.

For example, you may not see much difference in AF speed using a Pro series body (i.e., D2X, etc.), because the focus motors in these camera bodies are more robust (faster, higher torque).

Yet, in amateur level bodies, the difference in AF speed is likely to be greater (with the equivalent AF-S lenses focusing faster).

But, even the 80-200mm f/2.8 lenses that are reliant on the camera body's focus motor are likely to be much faster than most consumer grade lenses, even on an entry level body. These lens types tend to be geared for faster focusing.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2008, 2:38 AM   #3

With you all the way here Jim. I have the 70/200 and the old AF-D 80/200 which I use on a D2X and it is quick focusing. Still prefer it over the newer lens for candid portraits!
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote