Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Feb 14, 2008, 9:43 PM   #1

I am looking to buy Nikkor 55-200 not VR lens. It looks pretty cheap, $140. Is it worth or I should look something else?
emes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 15, 2008, 4:00 AM   #2

It's not a great lens....build quality and handling isn't great, but optically its not bad for the price. $140 is about half of what you would have paid for it brand new a couple of years ago. For a tele lens, the VR would probably be the better choice, but for the price, I would call it a good deal.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2008, 4:03 AM   #3

I have seen the 55-200mm "VR" for roughly the same price in most shops. I don't know what the"non VR" lens performs like but the VR lens is not that bad. As a matter of fact, for the price, it's darned good. You do have to remember that 55mm is not very wide angle so you may have to pick your shots.

You can get an awful lot better than the 55-200mm but you will also have to pay an awful lot more. This lens is in the budget range and will have its limits but if money is a criteria and you aren't too fussy, it may do just what you want of it.

There is NO such thing as a BAD lens,, but theresuch a thing as aBETTER lens...
fewpics is offline   Reply With Quote