Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Mar 3, 2008, 1:32 AM   #1

Up until now I had thought of pictures from my 24-120mm VR lens on the D80 as acceptable but a tad soft,, BUT,, today I found how to get the most out of it. Now it's on a par withalmostany other lens I have, except on the upper right corner of each shot, which seems still a little blurry. It seemedthat the D300 could handlethis lenswith no problems at all, but now the D80 can just about equal the D300 with this lovely lens.

How..??? Well, I don't know how I didn't do it before...

Although I am only using JPG pictureson the highest quality, I set the actual size to its maximum. I don't rmemeber setting it to the next lower size, but it was, so I merely bumped it back up and Wowwiieeeee. Geeez man what a difference. Not only that but I played around with some of the Aperture vs Shutter Speed vs ISO vs Exposure Compensation settings, trying various combinations on my way hometoday.

Just now, when I copied them onto the PC and viewed them, there was an air of anticipation, but I wasn't prepared for what I got. It's a lot richer in colour and lots more finely detailed and sharper... I had made comments in the past about the 24-120 being a little fussy on settings with the D80 and maybe it is but I can now see it is a very capable lens. The more you play to it, the better it performs...

For the next few days I will be putting the D300 aside while I rediscover the D80...
fewpics is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 10, 2008, 6:34 PM   #2

Hi Fewpics,

Shooting Raw will provide the most detail possible.

Judgingthe sharpness of a lens by evaluating Jpegs is unfair to the lens, IMHO.

nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote