Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old May 4, 2008, 2:48 PM   #1

I've had a D-80 for nearly 1 1/2 years, and now want to add some lenses. Ha! I just noticed my join date! I bought it shortly after I posted here for the first time and got all of your expert input!! For the most part I photograph family (I have 2 children), the kids' activities (soccer, T-Ball, Dance recitals, etc), family events and family vacatons (we travel quite a bit). Right now I only have the kit Nikon 18-135mm lens. I've been fairly happy with it except for indoor events in large places/lower light (dinner shows, recitals, etc.) I haven't upgraded because I am actually kind of scared to change it! LOL! The whole dust thing has me a bit freaked out since I really don't know how to deal with that. Any advice? Anyway......

On my wish list so far:

Nikon 18-200mm VR

Nikon 70-300mm VR

Nikon 50mm/1.8

Thoughts/comments/suggestions? Is there something I have overlooked? Someday I may consider something wider, but for now, I think these are my priorities. If you use a lot of prime lenses, which focal length do you use the most or think is the most useful?

Is there anything reasonably priced that will let me get good pictures at a dance recital (low light + distance)?

What other accessories should I consider? Do you recommend UV filters? What about cleaning kits/devices?

Thanks for any insight you can provide me!!!:?
MomToMyKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 4, 2008, 5:39 PM   #2

For outdoor sports, you may appreciate the better reach of a lens going to 300mm.

For indoor dance recitals, it won't be bright enough in most lighting. Ditto for the 18-200mm. VR won't help blur from subject movement, and you'll want a brighter lens for moving subjects indoors.

Depending on how close you can get, your bet bet would probably be something like a Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 AF lens for the dance recitals and dinner shows. If you can't get close enough and/or lighting is better than expected, you may be able to get by with an f/2.8 zoom (for example, a Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 VR, Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8 AF lens, or Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX HSM lens). But, I'd probably lean towards a brighter prime for a higher percentage of photos without motion blur. You may need a brighter prime to get many keepers indoors in some lighting, even using higher ISO speeds.

Personally, I avoid UV filters. But, many camera owners use them to help protect a lens. As for cleaning, here's a page that goes through some of the popular methods:

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote