Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Aug 10, 2008, 11:20 PM   #1

I've read advice that not all AI converted lenses can safely be mounted on the D80.

I have several old lenses (dating back to my original Nikon F) that have been modified by an independent repair shop to work with later Nikon bodies that do not have an aperature coupling prong.

Can anyone tell me what to look for to see if I can safely mount them on the D80? (I realize that none of the automatic functions like metering, focusing, etc. would work with the D80, but I'd like to experiment with these old lenses a bit.)

Looking at the question another way, if the AI conversions are not safe for use with the D80, what part of the D80 would be damaged?

----------------------- Bill
BillP2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 14, 2008, 11:28 PM   #2

try this link, its for a D70 but it may be the same, about 1/3rd way down the page it lists incompatible lenses...its a great resource for all nikon lenses and bodies. the D80 isnt listed there yet.

at the bottom of the page are links for other sections of the site. there is also a message board that may be of some use too.
MikeyBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2008, 8:48 AM   #3

Than you, Mikey, for the link.

As far as I see, the lens compatibility table has no caveats regarding some AI conversions being unsafe. Am I missing something?

Anyone else have some thoughts on this issue?

--------------------- Bill
BillP2R is offline   Reply With Quote