Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Aug 16, 2008, 1:13 AM   #1

I currently have a Kodak z712 is, which I really like. But I'm ready for a DSLR (had a film slr years ago). I know I want the D80, but I'm undecided on the lenses to start off with. I've seen it available as:

Body Only

With 18-135mm

With 18-55mm

With 18-55mm & 55-200mm

I'm not sure which way to go. I know regardless I want to have a 50mm lens, but just not sure which way to go above. Should the 18-55 be a VR?

What I like to shoot is mostly my kids playing inside and out. Lots of indoor shots and low light shots. I also enjoy basic landscape type shots such as sunsets, scenery, and flowers. I love a shallow DOF as well as macro shots.

Thank you,

amy129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 16, 2008, 7:04 AM   #2

In terms of image quality, the 18-55, 55-200 combo is probably the best. Both lenses are lightweight, and excellent values for the price. The 18-135 is also pretty good..it's sharp throughout the range, has a little bit better build quality than thee 18-55, 55-200 combo. It has more distortion however, and I have had some issues with flare when shooting into bright light.

Neither set up is great in low light...for low light and these lenses, I'd look to invest in a flash. Picking up the 50mm f1.8, though will help alot in low light, although you may find it a bit long indoors.

VR is a nice feature to have, but doesn't help with moving subjects. If you can get it great...it however is not a deciding factor for me.

I'm not usually one to say wait, but, it's no secret that a D90 (the d80's replacement) is about to be released, probably in late Sept, early Oct. It's rumored to be higher spec'd (more FPS, better low light performance, larger lcd etc), and also to have video capability. It's set to be released with a 18-105 vr lens as well. All at a price similar to the D80. It might be worth waiting if you don't need a camera right away.

rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote