Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Aug 21, 2008, 4:12 PM   #1

I have a D40X and would like to get a faster lens. I currently just have the 18-55mm and th 55-200mm. I wanted to get an f1.8 or f1.4 lens, but someone told me that my camera is only compatible with AF-S lenses. Is this true? I wish I had done more research before purchasing my camera. I would also like a lens that will be compatible when I upgrade my camera body. Thanks in advance.
bkond08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 21, 2008, 5:19 PM   #2

In theory almost every Nikon lens ever made will work on all Nikon cameras. "Work" meaning you can take a picture. The problem is loss of functions with older lenses.

Some things you should know if your going to buy used manual focus lens.

You will lose all metering function in the camera You will be able to shoot in the manual setting . But will get no reading from the meter. This really is not that big of deal. Just take a test shot and study it as well as the histogram.

If lens is real old (made prior to 1978) it can damage your camera . These lenses can be modified to work and many have but you must be careful about this as many of these modifications were not done complete.

Lenses marked Ai or Ai-S are OK to use Lenses marked Ai-P (do not confuse this with Nikkor-P) will even meter but they are harder to find and usually more expensive.

All auto-focus lenses will meter but only the AF-S lenses will autofucus on a D40X

tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote