Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Aug 24, 2008, 1:25 AM   #1

Hi All-

D300. Thinking go with the Nikkor 70-200 2.8, I wanted the 12-24 also but what about that gap between lenses? I don't want 3 lenses yet really would like that wide angle. Comments on this combo appreciated. Also, I want to shoot allot of Macro. Suggestions appreciated.

Robes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 24, 2008, 9:32 AM   #2

If you're on a bit of a budget, you could look at the tamron 17-50 f2.8. It's a fast constant aperture lens that is well regarded. Sigma also makes a version of this lens, but it has a lot of sample variation.

Or you could go with the Nikon 16-85Vr. It's a bit wider and vr enabled. However, it is only slightly better than consumer grade and a bit pricey for what it is (IMHO).

As i said in a previous post, a dedicated macro lens is your best bet for macro photography, either the 105vr, 60vr, or one of the older nikon micro's. Sigma and Tamron also make very good 105 macro lenses.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2008, 9:26 PM   #3

If you are shooting macro, go with rjseeney's suggestions. Those lenses are designed for this purpose and have shorter minimum focus ranges than regular lenses. Macro lenses generally require you to be about 1 ft from the subject, while regular lenses require you to be 2-4 ft from the subject. (You can use regular zoom lenses and equipment to get you close to the subject almost like these macro lenses, but that is more equipment to use).

I don't shoot wide-angle pictures, but the Nikon 12-24mm is rated well in many reviews and discussions, but you should read Ken Rockwell's article on shooting with wide angle lenses: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/how-...ide-lenses.htm
(or similar articles for photography advice in shooting wide angle)

If you need something in the 24-70mm range, you can try the 24-70mm f2.8. I have this lens.

Webapprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2008, 11:36 PM   #4

I'm going with the Nikon 200 f/4D ED-IF AF Micro, probably order it tomorrow. I'm also getting the Nikon 14-24 2.8 AF-s with my D300. In line for the next shipment of Nikon 70-200 2.8 AF-s VR also. I think that will do it for me , at least till the next millenium...
Robes is offline   Reply With Quote