Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Aug 26, 2008, 8:55 AM   #1

Good afternoon -at least in the Netherlands-,

I'm the proud owner of a D50 with a Sigma 18-200. I know that this lens has some problems.

Is it worth the money to change the Sigma for the Nikon 18-200 VR? I know for sure thatthat lens will have some "problems" too, but........

What do you think?

dove55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 26, 2008, 11:43 AM   #2

Hi, If you have a look at this site http://www.cameralabs.com/lenses/Lat..._reviews.shtml

They give an in depth review of both lenses,with a gallery of both lenses photo's.

That may help. There is another review site where they compare both lenses but I cant remember what one, ifI remember I will put it on this thread.

I have the Nikon lens which I am very happy with and did at one time have a Sigma 70-300mmona Canonfilm body. I took the Sigma back as it over exposed all my photos and changed it for a Canon lens, which was much much better. So ever since, I always go for the same brand lens as body. If you search back on thislens forum you will come to a thread which is titled something like" Nikon 18-200 VR made in Thailand??," if you trawl through that you will come across some shots thatI posted to show how pleasedI was with the lenses versatility. The only thing is I put them on in low quality, so on my own screen they look much better.
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2008, 9:07 PM   #3

I have used the Nikon 18-200mm VR lens and was also happy with it. The only potential problem I had with this lens is "lens creep." Lens creep is when you hold the lens pointing downward (even at a slight angle) and the lens moves slightly on its own. If you hold the zoom ring while taking the shot, this does not happen, but it does annoy some people (including myself). The lens does have some slight distortion at the extreme ends of the zoom range, but many lenses have this type of problem. For general photography, I think most people won't notice the distortion. The distortion can be fixed in software though.
Webapprentice is offline   Reply With Quote