Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Oct 9, 2003, 8:44 AM   #1
Default Nikon Lens Question

I picked up a Nikor 28-100 AF "G" lens for my D100. My question is this: What is the difference between a "D" and a "G" lens? The obvious thing is that there is no aperature ring on the G. Is there anything else different between the 2??
Chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 9, 2003, 12:11 PM   #2

Let me say that I have never handled the AF 28-100 G lens you have.

You found the main difference. Meaning you can not physically adjust your f-stop on your lens. Only through the camera's electronics can this be done with a "G" lens. "D" lenses, on most newer bodies, have to be locked at the smallest f-stop in order to work anyway. "D"s can also be used with older mechanical bodies too, while "G" lenses can not. "G" lenses require newer electronic bodies to work. Most "G" lenses are consumer level build quality, meaning less expensive, (more plastic, less metal). This is not saying its a poor lens. There are some "G" lenses that are known to be very sharp. I do not know if your lens is one of them. But the build quality of "G" lenses to me, seems too light.

IMHO, I would have paid the extra the AF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 D (about $300) which I own and use regularly. Its my main lens. It also has a Macro feature. This lens is known as a "workhorse" and dollar for dollar is a GREAT value in both sharpness and build quality. If it hasn't been too long since your purchase, I would suggest taking a look at one.
JoeSlotz is offline   Reply With Quote