Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Nov 25, 2008, 12:56 PM   #1

Hello hello.

I own a Nikon D80. I shoot mostly concert photography, which ends up being low & very crappy lighting.
The kit lens I have just isn't cutting it.
I don't want to use a speed light, I don't like how it washes things out. And with the national bands you usually aren't allowed to use a flash.
I am usually right in front of the stage or on it.

I know I need at least a 2.8, but not sure what mm?

I am looking into the Nikkor 50mm f/1.4g...anyone have any thoughts on that?

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

ladylike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 26, 2008, 9:24 AM   #2

ladylike wrote:
I am looking into the Nikkor 50mm f/1.4g...anyone have any thoughts on that?
Hard to say since this lens has yet to show up on the market for any thorough evaluation
-> It's interesting to note though that this new 50mm f/1.4 G has grown in size and now mirrors its Canon counterpart in every aspects including the ultrasonic drive, size, filter, and even its weight!

For the price though it'll still be dwarfed by the Sigma 50mm f/1.4; However depending on how close you are the 30mm f/1.4 might be a better fit... i.e. you can always do a crop, but you don't want to be stitching a live concert (which focal lenght do you tend to use your kit lens most at?)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2008, 9:29 PM   #3

If you are up close the Sigma 30mm F 1.4 will work fine. But keep in mind that it is definitiely shooting distance limited.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2008, 9:43 AM   #4

I took some pictures of a friend's concert back in 2005; I used a Nikon D70 and two zooms (short & long), neither of which were particularly fast (f3.5 & f5.6, I think). I didn't want to use a flash (large hall, bad form, rude/annoying etc.) so I used a bean-bag; a monopod would have worked just as well. Here are the pics: http://www.k1wd.com/music/misc/paul/

- Wil
Wil Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2008, 9:37 AM   #5

I have a Nikon D200 and have shot many concerts, I use mainly a Nikon 50mm 1.4 lens because I am right up front, I do not have the newest one out mine is the older auto focus lens. I think this lens works great for up front, and if I were to get another lens I would get the Sigma 30mm 1.4 just for a little more room for shooting depending on the situation.
I got the chance to shoot Steve Vai in concert once, and because of his onstage lighting, I used my 80-200/2.8 for some up close and personal shots, at the time I did not have my 50/1.4 if I did I would have switched lenses.
Hope this helps you out, I do Professional Photography, this is just my opinion.
PHOTO-PRO is offline   Reply With Quote