Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jan 29, 2009, 8:27 PM   #1

First post here.

I have a Nikon D65 Film slr camera for a few years now. When I got it I got 2 lenses with it. They are both Quantaray lenses. 1 is a 100-300mm and 2 is a 28-90mm. On the Lense it says "Quantaray for NIKON AF".

I want to make the switch to a D60 Nikon Digital SLR. Any idea if these lenses will work with the new Nikon Digital SLRs?

jtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2009, 5:41 AM   #2

They will not Autofocus on a D40, D40x or D60, since Nikon's newer entry level models do not have focus motors built in (and these lenses will require a focus motor in the camera body if you want Autofocus).

They'd probably work OK on any other Nikon dSLR (D80, D90, etc.). But, if you want AF, Nikon's newer entry level models (D40, D40x, D60) require lenses with a built in motor like Nikon's HSM (Hypersonic Motor) and Nikon's AF-S (Silent Wave Motor) lenses.

Chances are, your lenses are not worth a lot on the used market anyway. So, I wouldn't let that influence your decision too much. Just keep in mind that the Nikon D40, D40x and D60 will limit your lens choices in comparison to Nikon's other dSLR models (you'll need to stick with lenses that have built in focus motors using one of these bodies if you want Autofocus).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote