Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Mar 3, 2009, 8:42 PM   #11

pbook4g5 wrote:
Yeah that Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 HSM would be pretty nice when it ships... I'll keep my eyes out for it and just stick with an older Tamron 28-105 for now. Chances are, this lower focal length lens will be for general photography more than sports.
You've got to be careful... as you can't generalise with Nikon (or other 'screwdrive' brands)

Especially with a D300 - My Tokina 16-50 f/2.8 for one is plenty fast without HSM as this camera has a very powerful internal AF motor, in fact it's faster than some of my USM lenses on a 1DMrkII (but just not as silent)... ditto with most of Nikon's short primes

-> On a Canon, a non-USM lens is somewhat slower resulting from the slower lens motor; However, if a Nikon lens has no motor (i.e. screwdrive) then its AF speed will largely varies with the body it's mate to: a D50 just won't AF as fast as a D2x for example using the same identical lens!
If anyone recalled, the old Nikon F5 (a favorite sport camera) had an internal motor so powerful that it has the reputation of chewing up 3rd-party lens (not very different than the latest Sony's)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote