Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Apr 10, 2009, 9:26 PM   #1

Hello, I would like very much to buy a macro lens. I rented the 105VR and 60mm nano. I prefer the 60 nano. Much crisper and love the handling. Now in Canada these lenses cost 699$ CDN + tax (60mm) and 1000$ CDN +tax (105 VR). It's way too expensive for me and I even think Nikon is chasing away lot of faithfull Nikonians like me that have "a" budget but not "the" budget. I feel left alone by Nikon and pushed toward "cheeper" solutions like Tamron and Sigma. Question: which is the second best choice between Tamron (90mm) and Sigma (70mm or 105mm)? I can find the Tamron for 550$ and the Sigma for 525$ before Sigma too upgrades its price to 649$ I was told. I could buy second hand but It's not my first choice. Hints are very welcome. Karmin:?
Karmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 11, 2009, 4:26 AM   #2

I have a Sigma 50mm macro and a Tamron 90mm macroI'm very happy with the results from both. In the reviews I read the Tamron was rated better than the Nikkor 105 in some situations.

Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2009, 7:26 AM   #3

Tamron and Sigma both make very good macro lenses that are highly regarded and cheaper than the Nikon version. However, the prices on the 3rd party lenses are going up as well. As long as other currencies remain weak against the Yen, prices will continue to be high.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote