Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old May 13, 2009, 4:18 AM   #11
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Mark, the D50 has an AF motor built into it's body (it was the last entry level Nikon dSLR model to include one). Only newer entry level bodies like the D40, D40x, D60 and D5000 do not have a body based focus motor.
I wish my brain had been working, I knew that as the D50 had a motor as it was the one around with the D70. That will teach me LOL.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2009, 9:03 AM   #12

I do it all the time, with my post accuracy varying by the amount of coffee I've consumed. ;-)

Originally Posted by dotibwai View Post
Also regarding the use of a flash for low light conditions which flash would you recommend as a good partner for the D50. I've seen speedlight 400/600/800 being advertised for sale locally but am not sure which would suit me best.
The SB-600 and 800 have more features, including FP mode (high speed sync) and both tilt and swivel (so you could bounce a flash in portrait position if desired). They're also more powerful (which may be needed when you're bouncing or using a diffuser). These models also support features like wireless flash. Your Nikon model's internal flash doesn't support that kind of thing without additional equipment though (for example, using an SU-800 wireless commander unit or another flash in the hotshoe). But, you'd have a better flash if you wanted to use those types of features later.

On the downside, they're larger compared to a model like the SB-400. But, you could keep a model like the SB-600 or SB-800 in the included pouch and wear it on your belt if you don't want to keep the flash on the camera all the time.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote