Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jun 3, 2009, 9:18 PM   #11

Originally Posted by dnas View Post
Well, I think that you shouldn't spend TOO much money on a lens with these compromises, so if I was choosing, I'd buy the Tamron 18-250mm (the best of the crop in my opinion). And this lens is only around 60% of the price of the Nikon 18-200mm.
Pros and cons...

On an entry level Nikon body, you'd want to keep focus speed in mind (depending on how you plan on using the lens), and the Nikkor 18-200mm has AF-S to help out. The Nikkor is also stabilized, which could come in handy trying to use a lens that dim in lower light (or with the aperture stopped down for more depth of field).

On a Sony body (I'm shooting with the A700 right now), I'd probably get the Tamron 18-250mm (or even better, the Sony version of it) if I were shopping for an all in one lens with that much range, since the focus motor in newer Sony bodies is relatively fast and that Tamron would be stablized on a Sony body. The camera body focus motor is used for this lens in Sony Alpha mount. The Sony 18-250mm is even better (they regeared it for faster focus speed, with less turns of the focus screw from close to infinity compared to the Tamron branded version of it)

But on a Nikon body like the D60 (what I think the OP is using), the Tamron 18-250mm uses a slower focus motor built into the lens (or at least the newer ones do), and you wouldn't get the benefit of stabilization.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2009, 10:21 PM   #12

If you do decide on a Tamron like the 18-250mm, make sure you get one with a focus motor built in for use on a D60.

The D60 requires a lens with a built in motor if you want Autofocus (since that camera body doesn't have a focus motor built in).

When Tamron started manufacturing their 18-250mm lens in Nikon mount, it did not have a focus motor built in. So, if you buy one of them without a motor, you would not have Autofocus on a D60. Newer versions of the lens now have a built in motor for compatibility with newer Nikon bodies without a motor (the D40, D40x, D60, and D5000 bodies do not have a body based focus motor in them like you have with other Nikon dSLR models).

Some dealers may still have the older version of that Tamron in stock. So, I'd be careful to look for something in the listing indicating that it has a built in motor if you go with a Tamron 18-250mm for a Nikon body like a D60.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 11:39 PM   #13
Default Nikon 18-200 AF VR Lens Sharpness??

Thank you all for the replys. I had read the Ken Rockwell reviews and many other posts outs there. I did find people in cyberspace that were not happy with this lens but I found a whole bunch that were very happy with this lens. I looked at as many pictures as I could find taken with this lens (but did not know about the links that JimC and Mark1616 mentioned - thanks). I do like the one lens for general shooting but I need to come up with a better way to pick a lens.

So let me ask you guys for help buying my next lens. Here is what I think I want for landscape and portrait work (in order of priority):

Max money = $800-$1000
Sharpness highest priority
~16-70mm zoom (I am using on a D300 so 1.5 magnification factor)
fixed apeture F2 or F2.8?
internal focusing

Am I dreaming to expect a much better lens than my 18-200 with the list of requirements above? What would you suggest please?
rocketcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2009, 12:53 AM   #14

Have a look at these reviews to help you decide:

Tamron 18-250mm
AF18-250mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II LD Aspherical (IF)
Model A18(no focus motor, not for D60), but A18N II with built-in motor for Nikon D40, D40x, D60, etc

Nikon 18-200mm

Last edited by dnas; Jun 4, 2009 at 1:11 AM.
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2009, 6:03 AM   #15

I've moved your last post to a new thread here, so that we're not hijacking this thread started by Muschnick.

Need Zoom lens for Landscape and Portrait Work