Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Aug 21, 2009, 12:19 PM   #21

It would appear that the problems you cite are unique to your copy of the Nikon 18-200mmVR lens.

All in all, most users of this lens understand that due to 11X optical zoom that some compromises had to be made. The prefer the convenience of this lens and are willing to accept the optical compromises that are required to get that convenience.

Have a great weekend.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2009, 6:38 PM   #22
Default I see it

I see it in that one esp the right.
Send it back, repair , if they cant buy something else.
zilbog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2009, 11:25 AM   #23

Strangely I cant see the offending vignetting on my screen. I have had this lens for quite a while now and love it but at my largest ap at 200 mm I have seen some vignetting but I just crop it out , no big deal. It only seems noticeable in plain type shots ie sky, so the crop is no real loss.
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2009, 11:04 PM   #24

I don't find it to be anything as OP has stated. I find it doing well on either of my D200 bodies and my D40. It sits mostly on my D40 now and it does very, very well for my candid shooting in the city.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2009, 6:44 AM   #25

Originally Posted by zilbog View Post
I see it in that one esp the right.
Send it back, repair , if they cant buy something else.

I still don't see any major problems with the images that I can attribute directly to the lens. However, sending it in to Nikon sure couldn't hurt if you're not satisfied. There is sample variation, and it's always possible to get stuck with a bad copy. I have a 70-300 vr that was nearly unusable for me. I sent it in, and it turns out, it was a class b repair (moderate to major). I'm interested to see if this will fix the problems I was having with it.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2009, 1:18 PM   #26

I'm an amateur so this may seem a silly question - but for the first images - can't you just crop the image down to remove the edges instead of going the route of software fixes? I've produced some MUCH worse vignetting examples with my 18-135 Nikon if I'm not careful about exposure - especially when I have 1 or 2 filters (split-ND, polarizer) on the lens at wide settings. A few of mine looked ridiculous with nearly black corners as they were - but were good shots after cropping out the corners.
cczych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2009, 10:52 AM   #27

I thought they all had a bit of darkness at the edges when you use the high zoom...

paxfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2009, 4:09 AM   #28

rather then upload my photos again here....click the link below and scroll down to my bucs and cheerleader photos, all shot with a quantaray 18-200 OS (re-branded sigma) on a d40...at 1600iso

I picked up the lens for $190 on craigslist about a year ago

the moral here is don't give up on either your camera or your lens so quickly...it can take time to learn how get the best out of both. I still consider myself learning new things everyday. The photos you will see was my first attempt at sports photography

Zoom Lens Reccomendation for Nikon D70
gregg is offline   Reply With Quote