Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Aug 25, 2009, 7:22 PM   #11

Thank you so much for your input, TCav.
You have a way of explaining things that makes a lot of sense to me.
sidle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2009, 9:08 AM   #12

You have provided an excellent explanation, TCav-

Well done!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2009, 9:35 AM   #13
Default buttery?

Can someone continue to elaborate on the bokeh and what makes it donut or buttery? I too have heard people talk about "creamy" buttery bokeh but am not sure. If someone would explain further or send me to a resource where I can see examples and understand more, i would appreciate it.
lkaiser2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2009, 9:50 AM   #14

Bokeh is one of those nebulous subjects where you will get at least as many opinions as the number of people you ask.

A good starting point for you might be Wikipedia's article on the subject: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bokeh

For further reading, you should try the Luminous-Landscape article: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/bokeh.shtml

(Note that the Luminous-Landscape article refers to 'Bokeh' as 'Boke', an earlier spelling that was often mispronounced.)
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.

Last edited by TCav; Sep 10, 2009 at 9:56 AM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2009, 9:58 AM   #15

The term "buttery" is used to refer to smooth background (like melted butter) as opposed to jagged background. TCAV already provided a link showing the donut affect. It should also be noted that how the 'bokeh' looks is affected by what is in the background. It's easier to end up with a smooth looking bokeh when the background is uniform. Like this:

Same camera and lens - not as tightly framed (so greater DOF) combined with leaves in the background which don't blur as nicely and you get:

Not bad, but not as pleasing. My point in posting both is that bokeh isn't simply a matter of the lens. It's a matter of DOF, distance from your subject to background and what that background is.

Last edited by JohnG; Sep 10, 2009 at 10:01 AM.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote