Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Nov 18, 2009, 6:51 PM   #11

Originally Posted by gregg View Post
I know you made your choice. But for others who might read this, who like me are on a tight budget...I picked up a quantaray 18-200mm OS for $190 on craigslist about a year ago. Strangely, they say this lens is sharper then the nikon at 18 and 200mm. It is a re-branded sigma and now goes for about $400. It can be a little softer at wide apertures, but in the florida sunshine it certainly isn't hard to step down for a slightly sharper picture...at least 7.1....and the sweet setting f9-11. I use it on a d40 and d70. The pics below were taken on a d40...please excuse any minor noise, I used 800 or 1600 to catch my bucs at pre-season practice in august...this was my first attempt at sports photography....there was no post processing...only some cropping and re-sizing. Oh, i found this lens to be a little warm...no problem...I set my d40 at 1a, sharp +1, contrast +1

my 2 cents for what it's worth
the two cheerleaders on the left really brings out that lens

dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2009, 11:31 PM   #12

thanks dave

my only regret was not having more time to set up the shot...I don't think they would have waited for me to change the settings on my d40....I would have dropped the iso to 200 and used the flash as a fill to even things out

of course if I had used my d70s...I could have just hit a button instead of depending on layers of menus to change on the fly...then again iso 1600 has more noise on the d70....

I'll drive myself crazy

I picked up a d70s with about 4,000 clicks from a photographer friend about 5 months ago...he sold it to me for 150 and then threw in a 19-35 tamron and a 70-300 for 50 dollars more. The 70-300 is a steal if you see one...if stays at f4 from 70-135...haven't used it much because it doesnt have any anti shake for the long shots and it only AFs on the d70...but you can really blur out the background...I don't know enough about macro lenses...but it has a macro switch from 180-300...does that make the rest of it macro?

check out another photo I did post process...that was taken at raymond james stadium from the stands

Is the Quantaray 18-200mm OS DI f/3.5-6.3 lens any good?

Last edited by gregg; Nov 19, 2009 at 11:34 PM.
gregg is offline   Reply With Quote