Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Nov 2, 2009, 12:12 AM   #1
Default recommended basic lenses

I'm new to the world of photography and I need some recommendations. I have decided to purchase a Nikon D90 after reading several comparison reviews between the D90 and the Canon EOS T1i even though the reviews say that Canon makes better lenses.
Can someone recommend some Nikon lenses and flashes I should purchase for a beginner? I will only be using this camera in taking basic people photos and/or objects, more like tourist type photos. Thank you
pduytengsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 2, 2009, 5:42 AM   #2

Originally Posted by pduytengsu View Post
... even though the reviews say that Canon makes better lenses.
Not so. Canon and Nikon both make some of the finest lenses available, along with Zeiss and Leica.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 9:51 AM   #3
Super Moderator

you could very easily start with the kit that comes with the 18-105 VR and then add the Nikon SB-600 flash. You could do alot with this introductory kit. It would do very well for your outlined needs.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 10:00 AM   #4

I'm with Hards80. I'd probably go for the D90 kit including the 18-105mm VR for around $1199 from what I can see of current prices at reputable vendors. Then, get an SB600 go to along with it. It's a good flash and it's easy to carry and use (and it comes with a pouch you can wear on a belt until you need the flash if you don't want to leave it on the camera).

After using that kit for a while, you'll be able to make better informed decisions about what lenses you may need to more specialized conditions if you think that combo is limiting you in some way, while giving you a decent walk around lens to use in most conditions.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2009, 7:41 PM   #5
Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

If you are looking for a more economical approach than the 18-105, take a look at Tamron's 18-250. It is a fantastic value (about $500) and is the consumate walk around lens with good image quality across the zoom range. It is very compact and for tourist outings, it is probably the only lens you will ever need.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote