Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Nov 27, 2009, 1:00 PM   #1
Default 50mm question

Hi all, I have a quick question for you. I have a Nikkor 50mm F1.8 lens from my old 6006 that I'm using on my D90. Is there a difference from that lens and the newer 50mm that are made for DSLR's? I thought I read something about this, like it is a slightly different mm do to the change from film to processor. ANd would I be better off getting a new 50mm?

Nikon D7000, D90 W/ 18 - 105 Nikkor, 50mm 1.8 D Nikkor, 55-200mm VRI, and a 35mm 1.8G Lens
Phyxius is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 28, 2009, 8:35 AM   #2

There have been a number of 50mm f/1.8 Nikkor and two 50mm f/1.8 Nikon Series-E lenses. With the exception of the very first 50mm f/1.8 Nikkor there is very, very little difference between them optically. Over the 30 years or so that they've been in the line the coatings have improved a little bit, but not such that you would likely ever detect it in an image. The big difference is the barrels and coupling to the body. Some are manual focus and there are several AF versions.

MIR has a long detailed article on Nikon's 50mm lenses. Info on the various f/1.8 lenses begins on this page and continues through the next several pages: http://mir.com.my/rb/photography/com...kor/index4.htm
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2009, 9:54 AM   #3

I'd like to add that the current lenses have additional coatings that prevent flare and ghosting. This wasn't an issue with film because a dSLR's image sensor is more reflective than film ever was. So you might have trouble with flare when using an older lens that you might not have with a current lens.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote