Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Nov 30, 2009, 11:48 AM   #1
Default lens for D40 (gift-giving help)

Iím looking for some advice on a lens purchase for my father. He and I both got DSLRs around the same time and are sort of figuring things out by trial and errorówhich means I at least am pretty clueless. He has a D40 with the 18-55 kit lens, and another lens that I think is either the 55-200 or 18-135. My mother has been asking me whether there might be another lens that she could get him as a Christmas present. He shoots mainly landscapes, but he had been showing me some pictures he took of their flowers/roses/etc., where he couldnít get the right shot with the lens he was using.

So my (not)brilliant suggestion was the Nikon 50 f1.8 lens, which I have and like, especially given the low price point. But in my Thanksgiving food and wine daze, I instead pointed her to the 35 f1.8 lens, not the 50. And of course now Iíve remembered that the 50 wonít autofocus on his D40 anyway so itís kind of a moot point.

I think sheís already ordered the 35 f1.8, though of course she could return it. My question is whether itís worth keeping. Would it offer improved shots over the 18-55 that he has, and if so what kind of shots would those be? (Like I said, Iím still kind of clueless.)

Or, is there a similarly priced substitute for the 50 f1.8 that would autofocus on the D40?
sweet feed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2009, 12:50 PM   #2

I think the 35mm f/1.8 is an excellent lens, especially for the price. But I don't think it will help with closeups.

The Tamron 70-300 Di LD (~$170) is a 1:2 macro lens. It might be more appropriate for your father's flower shots than the 35/1.8.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote