Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jan 31, 2010, 8:14 PM   #1
Default Bower 2x Converter

I have a d90 that I bought as a bundle pkg. Question is how do I place the converter on my camera and do I need anything between the camera body and the converter?
davidsbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2010, 7:49 AM   #2

The converter just goes into the body just like the lens did. Then the lens goes into the converter. Not all lenses can use a converter so be carefull how far the rear element of the lens pokes out into the converter. If they touch they can cause damage. I have never found them to be very usefull except for primes, and then only in a pinch. They seem very soft to me.
ReneB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2010, 8:14 AM   #3

Bower teleconverters are actually made by Kenko. Kenko makes three different 2X teleconverters. If the barrel has anything like "MC4" on it, those are the lowest quality teleconverters. "MC7" or "7 Element" teleconverters are better, but still not very good. Either of them will work with any lens. I used to have a Kenko 2X teleconverter, sold under the name "Quantaray". I used to refer to it as "the Purple Fringe Machine". The chromatic aberration made most of the images useless.

Kenko's best 2X teleconverter is the "Pro 300", but only Tamron sells it under another name. The "Pro 300" can damage, or be damaged by an inappropriate lens. If it says "Bower", it's not a "Pro 300".

Also, a 2X teleconverter probably will interfere with the autofocus system. Most cameras won't autofocus with a lens with a maximum aperture of f/8.0 or smaller. A 2X teleconverter adds 2 f-stops to the maximum aperture of the lenses it's attached to, so if that lens has a maximum aperture of f/5.6, then with a 2X teleconverter, its maximum aperture will be f/11, so the camera won't autofocus.

Those packages usually come with a bunch of low priced junk, most of which is of questionable value. You can use this teleconverter as ReneB3 has described, but don't expect too much.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote